Monday, June 16, 2008

Introducing...

Welcome to Femilinking!

The purpose of this blog is to highlight interesting feminist writings published on the internet, linking to them as they are presented. Indeed, there are so many writings and perspectives that it is hard to digest it all.

Femilinking will highlight feminist and feminist-informed articles which I find particularly interesting and well-written. Posts will include links to relevant articles, as well as informative blurbs to help you decide how to spend your reading time (which I know many of us are in short supply of). I will also link to the sources, which will frequently be bigger feminist blogs. It is not the purpose of this blog to publish articles (which I'm leaving for great sites like The F Word). Rather, I'd like this to be a helpful resource for feminist activists. I may, from time to time, translate spanish-language articles with permission from authors, as I feel these perspectives are sometimes lost on the anglophone sphere.

Update frequency will be of one or two posts a week, possibly more depending on the amount of articles and time at my disposal.

My perspective is that of an intersectionality-informed feminist queer. As such, I believe that there are many different 'vectors' of oppression that bear down on any one person at any one time, such as class, gender, sexuality, gender and sexual identity, ethnicity, race, able-ism, size-ism and more. I believe it is important to study the overlaps in the different situations presented to us in society. I believe only by deconstructing these varied experiences, can we hope to begin breaking down oppression.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you find this new resource useful for whatever you need it.

-Ariel


(Graphic from www.infoshop.org)

No comments: